Bowenwork (Bowen Technique, Bowen Therapy, Bowtech) was developed in Australia by the late Thomas Ambrose Bowen. It is a unique form of neuromuscular repatterning. It works primarily through the nervous system on both structural and energetic levels. The techinque is gentle and non-invasive and can be performed through light clothing.
Bowenwork is not derived from or similar to any other bodywork. Some of the things that make Bowenwork different are:
- Misalighments commonly right themselves, yet there is no manipulation of joints or bones.
- Muscle tension and strains are relieved and lymph flow restored without massaging the muscles.
- Meridian lines show immediate improvement but work is not based on meridians and is unlike accupuncture or accupressure.
- There is no deep tissue work, but fascia rehydrates itself, scar tissues soften and adhesions release.
- Internal emotional shifts happen even if we do not evoke an emotional response like mind body therapies.
Bowenwork is safe and appropiate for newborns and the elderly, the trained athlete, pregnant women, the chronically ill and the family pet. It has been successful in addressing musculoskeletal issues such as, neck and shoulder pain, scoliosis, TMJ misalignment, carpal tunnel syndrome, and pelvic and hip misalignment. It is also well known for its effectiveness with migraines, digestive issues, asthma, colic in babies and fertility issues.
A Bowenwork session consists of gentle, rolling movements over the nervous system and other specific spots. There is a pause after the series of moves to allow the body to respond to the powerful suggestions that it has just received. This causes deep relaxation and it is not uncommon for a client to fall asleep. Benefits are usually apparant after 2-3 sessions, even with chronic conditions. The results are cumulative and long lasting because it is your body's own unique healing capabiliities that does the work.